A work center calendar specifies the working days/hours, shifts, holidays, and absence that determine the work center’s gross available capacity (measured in time) according to its defined efficiency and capacity values. Creating and enabling a work center calendar involves a few preparatory tasks:
As a foundation for calculating a specific work center calendar, you must first set up one or more general shop calendars. A shop calendar defines a standard working week in terms of starting and ending times of each working day and its work shift relation. In addition, the shop calendar defines the fixed holidays during a year.
To Create Work Shifts
Even if your work centers do not work in different work shifts, the system requires at least one work shift code.
1. From the Capacities menu, open the Work Shifts window.
2. On a blank line, enter a number in the Code field to identify the work shift (for example 1).
3. Describe the work shift in the Description field (for example 1st shift).
4. Continue to fill in lines for a second or third work shift if relevant.
To Set up a Shop Calendar
1. From the Capacities menu, click Setup, Shop Calendars to open the Shop Calendars window.
2. On a blank line, enter a number in the Code field to identify the shop calendar (for example 1).
3. Describe the shop calendar in the Description field (for example One shift Monday-Friday).
The initial naming of the new shop calendar is done and we can proceed to define its contents:
4. Select the new line, click Related Information, Shop Cal., Working Days to open a blank Shop Calendar Working Days window with the name defined above.
5. Proceed to define a complete working week with the starting and ending times of each day and the work shift code that each line relates to, for example:
Monday 07:00 15:00 1
Tuesday 07:00 15:00 1
If you need a shop calendar with 2 work shifts, you must fill it in like this example:
Monday 07:00 15:00 1
Monday 15:00 23:00 2
Tuesday 07:00 15:00 1
Tuesday 15:00 23:00 2
Any week days that you do not define in the shop calendar, for example Saturday and Sunday, are simply considered non-working days and will have zero available capacity in a work center calendar.
When all the working days of a week are defined, you can close the Shop Calendar Working Days window and proceed to enter holidays:
6. Back in the Shop Calendars window, select the new shop calendar line and click Related Information, Shop Cal., Holidays to open the shop Calendar Holidays window.
7. Proceed to define the holidays of the year by entering starting date/time and ending time and description of each holiday on individual lines, for example:
04/07/04 0:00:00 23:59:00 Summer Holiday
05/07/04 0:00:00 23:59:00 Summer Holiday
06/07/04 0:00:00 23:59:00 Summer Holiday
The defined holidays will have zero available capacity in a work center calendar.
The shop calendar can now be assigned to a work center in order to calculate the work shop calendar that will govern all operation scheduling over time at that work center.
To Calculate a Work Center Calendar
1. On a work center card, go to the Scheduling FastTab and select in the Shop Calendar Code field which shop calendar to use as the foundation for a work center calendar at this work center (for example One shift Monday-Friday).
2. Click Related Information, Planning, Calendar to open the Work Center Calendar window.
The left side of the window lists the work centers that are set up. The right side shows a time calendar displaying the available capacity values per working day in the defined unit of measure, for example 480 (minutes). Each line represents the calendar of one work center.
Note: You can also select to view the capacity values per week or month by selecting another value in the View By field in the Matrix Options area.
Our newly created and assigned shop calendar is not yet reflected in the calendar line of the selected work center – it must first be calculated:
3. Click Actions, Functions, Calculate to open the Calculate Work Center Calendar request from.
4. On the Work Center FastTab you can place a filter to only calculate for one work center. If you do not filter, all existing work center calendars will be calculated.
5. On the Options FastTab, define the starting and ending dates of the calendar period that should be calculated, for example one year; from 01/01/04 to 31/12/04. Then click OK to calculate.
Calendar entries are now created (or updated) showing the available capacity per day (or other period) according to the following 3 sets of master data:
- The working days and shift defined in the assigned shop calendar
- The value in the Capacity field on the work center card
- The value in the Efficiency field on the work center card.
The calculated work center calendar will now define when and how much capacity is available at this work center, and as such, it governs the detailed scheduling of operations performed at the work center.
To Record Work Center Absence
In addition to the non-working time defined in the shop calendar, you can define absence time directly in the calculated work center calendar:
1. In the Work Center Calendar window, select the work center and calendar day when the absence time should be recorded and then click Related Information, Planning, Absence.
1. In the Absence window, define the starting time, ending time and description of that day’s absence, e.g.:25/01/01 08:00 10:00 Maintenance
2. Click Related Information, Absence, Update and close the Absence window.
The capacity of the selected day has now decreased by the recorded absence time.